The ACE TEYL (Teaching English to Young Learners) Certificate will provide you with current tools, strategies, skills and knowledge used to teach English to students aged 3 to 17 years. It will also provide you with the opportunity to talk about teaching in English and to learn English through talking about teaching.
The course is designed for international teachers who are already credentialed, for international students who would like to improve their English skills through a content-based course and for international students considering enrolling in a teacher education course in their home countries.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The ACE TEYL Certificate is not a teaching credential nor is it an early childhood education credential. There is no accrediting organization for TEYL courses.
“Although challenging, the ACE TEYL Certificate is one of the best programs I have ever taken in Canada. We had so much fun in the class, even when preparing homework. I never thought I would want to be an English teacher before, however, now I am dreaming of teaching English back home in South Korea. If you want to become an English teacher for young learners, I highly recommend this course. I hope you take away many valuable lessons from this course as I did.”
– Mihyun Kim
Why Choose the ACE TEYL Certificate?
- Strong emphasis on practical teaching skills
- Uses pair work, small group work and in class discussions
- 100 hours of classroom instruction
- A practical, task-based and participatory learning experience
- An opportunity to explore how children learn a second language
- An opportunity to create activities, lesson plans, materials and props for use with young learners
- Taught by professional, experienced and energetic trainers
- Increase your self-confidence when dealing with young learners
- Improve your communication and presentation skills to young learners
- Have the opportunity to practice teaching in a safe environment
- Find out if you enjoy teaching young learners
A level of education allowing for entry into your country’s higher education system and an interest in learning about how children learn English.
If English is not your first language, you will need to provide proof of English language proficiency with one of the following standardized proficiency tests:
|CAEL||Overall band 50 showing strength in writing and listening scores|
|TOEFL iBT||Overall score of 70 showing strength in writing and listening scores|
|IELTS||Overall score of 6.0|
The ACE TEYL Certificate covers both the theory and the practice of teaching English to young learners.
- Children as learners
- Teaching Speaking, Teaching Writing, Teaching Listening and Teaching Reading
- Lesson Planning
- Specialized Activities
- Classroom Management
- Teaching Grammar, Teaching Vocabulary and Teaching Pronunciation
Throughout the course, participants will complete the following tasks for assessment:
- A Lesson Plan Portfolio
- A Teacher Tool Box
- A Themed Project Plan
- Evaluated Microteachings
- An Achievement Test
Continuing Education Units
Language education professionals can earn CEUs for completing the ACE TESOL Certificate. The international standard for CEUs is one CEU for every 10 hours of professional development, therefore participants can earn 12 CEUs for successfully completing the course with the 20-hr practicum and 11 CEUs for successfully completing the course with the 10-hr practicum. Please note that this is a general guideline and CEU standards may vary from one teaching context to the next. It is your responsibility to check the CEU requirements for your specific teaching context.