The ACE TESOL Certificate course is specifically designed to provide you with the tools, strategies, skills and knowledge to be successful teaching adults in English language programs either in Canada* or abroad.
It is recognized by TESL Canada for TESL Canada Professional Certification Standard One. For more information on TESL Canada Professional Certification, contact TESL Canada at: [email protected] or visit www.tesl.ca.*except in government funded programs in Ontario.
“A highly recommended course… It has honestly added a new dimension, an extremely important skill, to my teaching. The trainers are professional, intelligent and very approachable. This is one course that I’ll remember for years to come.”
– Priya Goswani
Where to Register
The ACE TESOL Certificate Course is offered in-class at the following ACE Partner locations:
- Assiniboine Community College, Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
- Bow Valley College, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Collège Communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick, New Brunswick, Canada NEW – Coming early 2018!
- East Coast Language College, Halifax, Nova Scotia NEW
- Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- London Language Institute, London, Ontario, Canada
- Niagara Catholic District School Board, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
- Peel District School Board, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
- Renison University College, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- ACE in Iran, contact [email protected] or telephone: 00989128057580
For more information, please contact us.
Why choose the ACE TESOL Certificate course?
- Obtain the qualifications and skills to teach English to adults abroad or in Canada
- An affordable English language teaching credential
- 100 hours of classroom instruction
- A 20-hour practicum (a 10-hour practicum option is also available)
- A strong focus on practical teaching skills
- Based upon the most current teaching theory and methodologies
- Learn through pair work, small group work, teaching demonstrations and discussions
- Experienced, energetic and qualified trainers
- Increase your self-confidence as a teacher
- Improve your communication and presentation skills
- An opportunity to practice teaching in a safe environment
- Increase your marketability as an ESL teacher, giving you a more competitive edge in the job market
A level of education allowing for entry into your country’s higher education system. A Bachelor’s degree from a Canadian university or an established equivalent is required in order to be eligible for TESL Canada Professional Certification
If English is not your first language, you will need to provide proof of English proficiency with one of the following standardized proficiency tests:
|TOEFL iBT||Overall: 101||Listening: 23||Reading: 24||Speaking: 27||Writing: 27|
|IELTS Academic||Overall: 7, with a minimum score of 7 in each skill area|
The admissions process may also include an interview and a grammar test.
You can test your English grammar by taking the ACE TESOL Certificate Candidate Grammar Test. At the end of the test, you will be shown which questions you answered incorrectly as well as links to webpages containing corresponding study material for the concepts being tested. It is your responsibility to study the concepts you are not familiar with prior to the start of the ACE TESOL Certificate course.
The following topics are covered in the course:
- Learning Theory, Teaching Speaking, Teaching Writing, Teaching Listening and Teaching Reading
- Methods, Planning, Techniques, Testing
- Grammar, Vocabulary, Pronunciation
- Managing Your Career
Throughout the course students complete the following tasks for assessment:
- An Observation Report based on observing six hours of real ESL classes
- A Progress Test
- An Achievement Test
- An Objectives Writing Task
- Evaluated Microteaching
- A Lesson Plan Portfolio
- Evaluated Solo Teaching
Practicums are conducted in real adult English language classes. There are two practicum options: a 20-hour practicum* and a 10-hour practicum. In the 20-hour practicum, students complete 10 hours of observation and 10 hours of supervised teaching. In the 10-hour practicum, students complete 6 hours of observation and 4 hours assisting an ESL teacher. Students who complete The ACE TESOL Certificate with a 20-hour practicum are eligible to apply for TESL Canada Professional Certification Standard One.
*Only the 20-hour practicum is recognized by TESL Canada. Participants completing the 10-hour practicum are not eligible to apply for TESL Canada Professional Certification Standard One.
Continuing Education Units
Language education professionals can earn CEUs for completing the ACE TESOL Certificate. The international standard for CEUs is one CEU for every 10 hours of professional development, therefore participants can earn 12 CEUs for successfully completing the course with the 20-hr practicum and 11 CEUs for successfully completing the course with the 10-hr practicum. Please note that this is a general guideline and CEU standards may vary from one teaching context to the next. It is your responsibility to check the CEU requirements for your specific teaching context.